Why Are Dermal Fillers Used?
Aging, sun exposure, medications and genetics can all play a role in the development of facial wrinkles, lines and creases. Many people turn to facial plastic surgery, such as a facelift, to reduce or eliminate lines and wrinkles, but others prefer minimally invasive approaches, such as dermal fillers, as a non-surgical alternative to effectively erase wrinkles.
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are substances used to reduce facial creases and bring back a more youthful-looking volume and fullness. Loss of facial volume and the development of facial lines are both due to the loss of:
- Collagen, a protein that supports firm, resilient skin
- Elastin, which resists wrinkles and firms skin
- Hyaluronic acid, which holds water in the skin to keep its volume and shape
Many types of dermal fillers contain synthetic or natural versions of these substances, or will jumpstart your body to produce its own.
The following are common dermal fillers used to improve your skin’s look:
- Juvederm® is a hyaluronic acid filler (HAF).
- Radiesse® fills in wrinkles and stimulates your body’s own natural collagen production.
- Restylane®/Perlane® is a non-animal sourced hyaluronic acid filler (HAF) that lasts about 6-12 months.
What are dermal fillers used for?
Dermal fillers can be used to treat the following facial areas:
- Plump up thin or wrinkling lips
- Fill in shallow areas, such as sunken cheeks
- Soften facial folds, lines, and creases
- Improve the look of facial scars
- Correct deformities in the face
- Reduce or eliminate shadows of the lower lids
- Fill in lines from the corners of your nose to mouth
- Soften depressions along the jawline
- Correct facial asymmetry
What are the benefits of using dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers give a soft and natural look because the fillers are placed only in the problem areas you want to rejuvenate, so it’s not a radical change. If you have extensive wrinkles, folds and deep creases, surgery such as a facelift, brow lift or eyelift could be better options.
One of the instant benefits of dermal fillers is that they immediately produce visible results with little or no downtime. Another benefit is they can last anywhere from three months to two years depending on your lifestyle and how your face continues to age.
Who is a candidate for dermal fillers?
You’re a good candidate for dermal fillers if you:
- Need or want a nonsurgical option for facial rejuvenation
- Are in good physical health
- Don't smoke
- Possess a positive attitude with realistic expectations for the improvement of your facial appearance
- Are committed to maintaining good skin health
Why Choose Dr. Yeung?
Dermal fillers, despite the fact that they are nonsurgical, should be administered in a plastic surgeon’s environment for health and safety reasons. A facial plastic surgeon has extensive education and experience in facial anatomy, so you can be confident that you’re in competent hands in a medically-controlled setting.
Dr. Cecil Yeung, a double board-certified surgeon, and his state of the art Yeung Institute ensures that your dermal filler procedure will be conducted in a safe, secure and private medical environment. Dr. Yeung has the technical skills with a focus on natural-looking results that enable his patients to experience exceptionally dazzling transformations that are uniquely their own. Dr. Yeung and his staff are committed to developing and maintaining the highest confidence for each of his patients by emphasizing personalized services tailored to each person's unique needs and desires regarding dermal filler results.
Contact Dr. Yeung Today to Get Started on a Younger-Looking You
If you desire a more youthful, wrinkle-free appearance by restoring volume and fullness to your face, contact our Houston office today to learn more about our dermal filler options. You can also get started by filling out the appointment request form right on this page.