The neck is one of the first, highly visible areas where aging shows. Genetics can also cause the neck to age more quickly than the facial area. Issues such as turkey neck, excess fat or loose and sagging skin on the neck and jawline can result. Also, the development of “neck bands” or a ropey-looking neck can all add years to one’s appearance.
When you want to rejuvenate and restore a youthful look by fixing a loose, sagging, ropey or “banded” neck, a plastic surgery procedure, called a neck lift, corrects these issues.
In this blog, Dr. Cecil Yeung will explain when it is time to consider a neck lift.
What is a neck lift?
A neck lift enhances the look of the neck by tightening the skin and underlying muscles. The procedure improves the shape of the jaw line and smoothes the skin. A neck lift is a combination of two procedures used in one surgery:
- Cervicoplasty removes excess skin
- Platysmaplasty removes or repositions neck muscles
What is involved in a neck lift?
Many doctors use liposuction in the neck area, but that doesn’t correct the underlying problem and can leave less than desired results. At the Yeung Institute, a neck lift is a surgical procedure where excess skin and the muscles are addressed. With this more thorough surgical technique, long-lasting, natural-looking outcomes are ensured.
Dr. Yeung’s plastic surgery methods take care of all the reasons for a sagging, banded, ropey or turkey neck. Many of these issues are caused from laxity in the two neck muscles. Dr. Yeung moves the two neck muscles into a more aesthetically pleasing position. Then, using special techniques, he tightens the muscles and skin and removes the fat, creating long-lasting, natural and more youthful contours.
When might you consider a neck lift?
You should consider a neck lift:
- When you want to dramatically improve the look of your neck area by reducing or correcting issues beneath the chin.
- Your neck may be aging considerably faster than your face.
- You have loose and drooping skin, horizontal bands, ropes down your neck or fatty jowls.
- You’ve lost weight and now have hanging skin.
- No matter how much weight you’ve managed to shed, the pad of fat under your chin won’t go away.
What can you expect from a neck lift?
While a neck lift surgical procedure is different for each individual, here’s a general outline of what to expect during a cervicoplasty and/or platysmaplasty in Houston:
- Neck lift surgery typically takes between two and four hours.
- When you have additional procedures, such as a facelift, the surgery time will vary.
- You’ll be given anesthesia to keep you comfortable throughout the procedure.
- After the procedure, you may experience neck tightness and soreness.
- Swelling and bruising may occur after surgery.
- Keeping your head elevated when sleeping may be recommended for one to two weeks.
- Depending on the sutures used, they may require removal in three to five days, or they’ll disappear on their own.
- Recovery and downtimes vary from 10-14 days.
- Neck lift scars are minimal, since they are under the chin, which hides them.
- If a facelift is also done with a neck lift, any facelift scarring is minimized because these incisions are placed along the ear folds and hairline to conceal them.
Where can I find the best neck lift surgeon in Houston?
Cecil Yeung, MD, FACS, is a top facial plastic surgeon in Houston. He is double board-certified in facial plastic surgery as well as otolaryngology, also known as the ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialty. Dr. Yeung is well-known for his technical skill, eye for beauty and his aesthetic treatments of the face. With more than 20 years devoted to his surgical career, he has developed highly specialized techniques that create beautiful, natural-looking results for his clients with minimal down times.
Dr. Yeung was the first Houston surgeon to perform the endoscopic facelift. Using this method, scarring is reduced and recovery times are shortened. He performs endoscopic facelifts in conjunction with neck lifts, producing the most natural-looking, long-lasting facial and neck rejuvenation that's available.
Dr. Yeung’s meticulous attention to detail, expert surgical skills, and cutting-edge endoscopic techniques make him a prominent surgeon in his field, recognized by hospitals and professional societies throughout the US. Known for his perfectionism, professionalism and focus on producing desired outcomes; he instills confidence, security and ensures exceptional results for all his clients.
Most procedures are conducted at The Yeung Institute, an on-site surgical facility with luxurious amenities and professional, friendly staff. The center has the latest technological surgical advancements available.
Call Dr. Yeung Today to Get Started
If you’d like to improve the contours of your neck area, erase the signs of aging, remove fat or improve the appearance of horizontal bands or vertical cords with naturally looking results, call our office or contact our office today using our online form to schedule a consultation.