Dr. Yeung and Dr. Burchhardt both perform minimally invasive neck lifts and are known for their meticulous surgical techniques that deliver natural and long lasting results.
What is a neck lift?
As we age, we start to notice changes in the face and neck. The neck is one area that shows signs of aging before the rest of the face on many people. Genetic disposition and extreme weight loss are two factors that can affect the appearance of your neck.
Sometimes the neck distracts from the face and people refer to a neck that is sagging with the derogatory term “turkey neck.” A neck lift surgery, also known as a submentoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery that can be performed on the neck to reposition the underlying muscles and soft tissues, creating a more youthful-looking appearance.
What is a neck lift used for?
Neck lift surgery may be used to:
- Remove loose skin or excess fat from the neck
- Lift and tighten soft tissues and lax muscles in the neck
- Improve and sharpen the contour of the jawline
- Create a refreshed and firmer-looking neck area
When is a neck lift recommended?
A submentoplasty may be recommended for patients facing one or more of the following aesthetic concerns in the neck:
- Horizontal lines or creases, also known as “turkey neck”
- Loose-hanging skin
- Excess fat deposits
- Neck wrinkles or a double chin due to aging
- Extra folds of skin due to extreme weight loss
- Separation between the neck and the chin or jaw
- Crepe-like skin in the neck
Depending on a patient’s needs and desired results. The surgeon may also recommend a facelift in conjunction with a neck lift to achieve the best and most natural-looking results.
What does a neck lift involve?
Submentoplasty is performed with different techniques by different plastic surgeons. Dr. Yeung and Dr. Burchhadt does not believe in simply liposuctioning the neck. This is because when you liposuction the area, you may remove some fat but it does not correct the underlying problem. Instead, our surgeons neck lift technique addresses the total reason for the sagging. The “pad” (turkey neck) under the neck usually occurs because of laxity in the two muscles in that area. In order to deliver long-lasting and natural-looking results, neck lift surgery done by our surgeons will fix these lax muscles in addition to removing fat and tightening the skin.
During a neck lift procedure, Dr. Yeung or Dr. Burchhardt will strategically take the two neck muscles and place them in a more aesthetically pleasing position while using special techniques that will allow those muscles to stay tight and create a natural, youthful appearance.
What can I expect when undergoing neck lift surgery?
While the surgery may differ based on your individual needs, here’s an overview of what you can expect during a neck lift in Houston:
- A neck lift can take 2-4 hours (when performed as a single procedure), depending on the complexity
- When performed in conjunction with other procedures, such as a facelift, the surgery will vary in time
- You will be given an anesthetic so you will not feel any pain during the procedure
- After surgery, your neck may feel tight and sore
- You may have some swelling and bruising after the procedure
- You may be advised to sleep with your head elevated for 1-2 weeks
- Depending on the type of stitches used, sutures may be removed in 3-5 days or stitches will dissolve on their own
- Recovery and potential downtime can range from 10-14 days
- Scars are minimal and located underneath the chin to conceal visibility
- When a facelift is performed in combination with a neck lift, any facelift scars will be minimal as well, located along the ear creases and into the hairline to conceal visibility and keep the hairline natural-looking
Where can I find the best neck lift surgeon in Houston?
In most cases, neck lift procedures will be performed at the Yeung Institute’s state-of-the-art, fully accredited surgery center on premises in Houston, where patients receive exceptional care in a luxurious, private and comfortable atmosphere.
If you are interested in rejuvenating the look of your neck and eliminating “turkey neck”, contact our office today or call our office to learn more about neck lift surgery. You can also get started by filling out the appointment request form right on this page.