Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) in Houston
Cecil Yeung, MD, FACS, is one of the best blepharoplasty eyelid surgeons in Houston, TX, known for his minimally-invasive and meticulous surgical techniques and for delivering the most natural-looking eyelid surgery results with a shorter recovery period.
What is blepharoplasty?
When you look at someone’s face for the first time, you are inherently drawn to that person’s eyes. Droopy eyelids can make you look older and impair vision, while puffiness and bags under the eyes can make you look worn and tired. Blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid surgery, is a cosmetic surgery that can be performed on upper or lower lids to create a firmer, younger-looking eye area.
What is blepharoplasty used for?
Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) may be used to:
- Remove excess skin or fat from the eyelids
- Fix sagging eyelids
- Correct puffiness and bags under the eyes
- Create a refreshed and firmer-looking eye area
When is eyelid surgery recommended?
Eyelid surgery may be recommended for patients facing one or more of the following aesthetic or functional concerns:
- Excess skin above or below the eyes
- Eyelids that hang so low that it’s affecting your vision
- A half-moon shaped line beneath your eyes
- Puffy eyes
- Skin around your eyes that makes you look older than you are
While blepharoplasty is sometimes performed as a single procedure, the surgery may make other problematic facial areas even more pronounced. A blepharoplasty procedure will not alter dark circles, fine lines or wrinkles around the eyes, nor can it change sagging eyebrows.
Depending on a patient’s needs and desired results. Dr. Yeung may also recommend a brow lift, facelift, facial fat transfer or laser skin resurfacing in conjunction with eyelid surgery to achieve the best and most natural-looking results.
What does blepharoplasty involve?
Based on the treatment plan and specific needs of the patient, Dr. Yeung will surgically correct either the upper or lower eyelids, starting by removing any excess skin. All incisions will be made along the natural crease lines, in order to minimize the appearance of scarring. Once complete, stitches will be inserted. Eyelid surgery is often performed at the same time as other facial plastic procedures, such as a brow lift, facelift, or facial fat transfer, in order to ensure that any skin changes or facial volume changes resulting from blepharoplasty are properly addressed and that results are natural.
What can I expect when undergoing eyelid surgery?
While the surgery may differ based on your individual needs, here’s an overview of what you can expect from a blepharoplasty surgeon in Houston:
- An upper or lower blepharoplasty can take 1-2 hours (when performed as a single procedure), depending on the complexity
- When performed in conjunction with other procedures, the surgery will vary in time
- You will be given an anesthetic so you will not feel any pain
- You may have some swelling and bruising after the procedure
- The day after the procedure, cold eye gels can be applied to help reduce swelling
- After surgery, the eyes may temporarily feel sticky, dry or itchy
- Depending on the type of stitches used, sutures may be removed in 3-5 days or stitches will dissolve on their own
- Eye drops and sterile ointments may be recommended to help keep the eye area clean
- Recovery and potential downtime can range from 10-14 days, although most patients can return to work in about a week
- Scars are minimal and located along the crease line to conceal visibility
Where can I find the best blepharoplasty surgeon in Houston?
In most cases, eyelid procedures will be performed at the Yeung Institute’s state-of-the-art, fully accredited surgery center on premises in Houston, where patients receive exceptional care in a luxurious, private and comfortable atmosphere.
Depending on your needs and desired results, Dr. Yeung will tailor a treatment plan that may also include other procedures in order to achieve a beautiful, rejuvenated face.
If you are interested in rejuvenating your eyes and getting rid of sagging or puffy eyelids, contact our office today or call 713-795-4885 to learn more about blepharoplasty. You can also get started by filling out the appointment request form right on this page.