What to Expect When Undergoing Chin Augmentation in Houston
The chin has a major effect on the look of your profile. Also, if you have a receding chin, it may throw off the proportions of your face, making the nose look too large (when it’s not). Conversely, a large chin can make your nose look too small. When a chin size and shape makes the nose look out of proportion, some people think they need a rhinoplasty (nose job) when a chin augmentation would be a better solution.
In this blog, top facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Cecil Yeung will explain a chin augmentation.
What is a chin augmentation?
A chin augmentation procedure, also called a genioplasty, is a surgery that uses an implant that's contoured to match the proportions of the rest of the face. The procedure may also involve achieving the desired look by manipulating the jawbone.
When is a chin augmentation recommended?
A chin augmentation may be recommended for the following instances:
- Small lower jaw: A small lower jaw with a deep underbite, alongside a short chin, gives less bone support in that area. This results in the jawline's soft tissues blending into the neck, leaving no demarcation from the chin into the front of the neckline. Where the chin ends and the neck begins isn’t clearly defined. An ideal cosmetic surgery option to correct this is a genioplasty.
- Facial drooping: The nasolabial folds, also called smile lines or laugh lines, are the two skin folds that run from each side of the nose to the corners of the mouth. When the middle of the facial area sags due to aging, the nasolabial folds drop. As the nasolabial folds drop, they cause lower facial soft tissue to drape over the jawline. Genioplasty helps restore a more crisply defined line along the jaw.
- With a neck lift: Many times, a neck lift is done along with a chin augmentation. By creating a clear right angle under the chin and taking up sagging neck skin, both procedures restore a youthful appearance in the neck and chin areas, improve proportions in the face, and enhance a facial profile.
What is involved in a chin augmentation?
Once you and your surgeon decide you’ll undergo chin augmentation surgery to reshape or enhance the size of the chin, the decision is made whether to simply insert an implant or to move and/or reshape bones.
For chin implant surgery, a small incision is made inside the mouth. The implant is then inserted and positioned. Next, the incision is closed and a dressing is applied. The incision will be invisible once it’s healed since the entire surgery was performed in your mouth.
For a procedure reshaping and moving bones, the surgeon makes an incision inside the mouth along the lower gum. The underlying chin bone is then reshaped using surgical tools. The jaw bone is moved into place and secured to hold its position. The incision is closed and a dressing is applied.
What can you expect when undergoing a chin augmentation?
While a chin surgical procedure is different for each individual, here’s a general overview of what you can expect during a genioplasty in Houston with Dr. Yeung:
- The procedure lasts from one to four hours.
- Downtime is about 10-14 days, although you can possibly return to work in about a week.
- The surgery incisions are typically made within the mouth, so any scars are not visible.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Yeung Today to Get Started
When you’re considering having your chin reshaped to match the proportions of your face, improve your profile, and restore a younger, more defined facial appearance, contact The Yeung Institute. Dr. Yeung artfully performs a genioplasty to complement your facial features.
Dr. Yeung - A Plastic Surgeon You Can Trust
Dr. Yeung is a double board certified plastic surgeon in Houston with specialized training and significant experience in performing chin augmentations. His meticulous and special care in crafting a natural look, using the least invasive methods possible, have built Dr. Yeung’s reputation as a premier plastic surgeon.
Most procedures are conducted at The Yeung Institute, an on-site surgical facility with deluxe accommodations, friendly and professional staff, and equipped with the latest modern technology for surgery. The luxurious, comfortable setting helps clients relax as they undergo chin augmentation procedures that create balanced facial features.
Call Dr. Yeung’s office today for chin surgery with natural-looking results, invisible incisions and rapid healing. It can make all the difference in ensuring that your facial changes are exactly the changes that you want. Schedule a consultation now by contacting our office today or calling 713-795-4885 to learn more about genioplasty.