When is a Rhinoplasty Recommended?
Rhinoplasty, also known as nose surgery, is a cosmetic procedure that changes the look of your nose and may be a great help in restoring facial balance. Your nose is a defining feature of your face, right in the center, and it has a high degree of impact on your profile as well as your facial harmony. Common issues people have with their nose shape are: it’s too small, too large, or one side looks different from the other.
Some nose shapes interfere with breathing, making nose surgery essential. When a surgical procedure is needed to correct a deviated septum, a common cause of impaired breathing, it’s called a septoplasty.
In this blog post, Dr. Cecil Yeung, one of the most qualified and experienced cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgeons in the country, explains when nose surgery is recommended.
What is rhinoplasty used for?
Nose surgery can help you:
- Change the shape and size of a big or uneven nose
- Refine the nose shape
- Change the nose profile by removing a bump in the nose
- Change the nose profile and appearance by straightening a twist in the nose
- Make a small nose larger
- Fill out indentations in a flat-shaped nose
- Correct a previous nose job to improve its appearance (revision rhinoplasty)
- Correct nose breaks or facial fractures from injury or accident
- Correct a broken nose that wasn’t set properly or never re-set
- Improve on a rhinoplasty performed at an emergency room
When is a rhinoplasty recommended?
A rhinoplasty is recommended when you would like to improve the look of your nose to:
- Achieve a better harmony of your facial features
- Improve the symmetry of your face
- Improve the appearance of your profile
- Make a visible change in your facial silhouette
- Gain confidence in the appearance of your face
Keep in mind, when you're getting surgery to improve nose symmetry, each of us have some asymmetrical aspect to our facial appearance naturally. Your results may not be completely symmetrical. Nevertheless, nose surgery will improve facial balance and fix nose proportions in relation to the face.
Do I need a rhinoplasty and a septoplasty?
When you have both procedures done together, a rhinoplasty gives the aesthetic improvements in your facial balance, while a septoplasty corrects the functional problems at the same time.
A septoplasty may be recommended and performed if you want to:
- Fix a deviated septum
- Stop breathing impairments
- Avoid recurring sinus problems such as chronic sinusitis
What is involved in a nose surgery?
Dr. Yeung will discuss the two different types of nose surgery he performs. He helps you decide which one is best depending on your needs. There is open rhinoplasty and closed rhinoplasty:
- Open rhinoplasty uses small incisions made in the thin strip of tissue that's between the nostrils (under the nose).
- Closed rhinoplasty has no incisions made on the skin outside of the nose. The incisions are hidden inside the nose.
Through these incisions, the skin over the nasal bones and cartilage is lifted, giving access to change the nose’s shape and structure. With a revision rhinoplasty, which may be a bit more complex, there may also be a cartilage graft used to support the nose area if there isn’t enough cartilage present.
What can I expect during a nose surgery?
Depending on the issues you are seeking to correct, you can expect the following during a nasal surgical procedure:
- To reduce the size of a large nose, bone or cartilage is removed.
- To reshape and add support to the nose, cartilage from the septum (divider down the middle of the nose) is used modify and add nasal structure. Sometimes, but not in all cases, ear or rib cartilage may be used.
- For a deviated septum and to improve breathing, the septum will be aligned, and then possibly built up or reduced within the nose.
Where can I find the best nose surgeon in the Houston area?
Dr. Yeung is one of the best and highly experienced rhinoplasty surgeons in the Houston area, with a reputation for his dedication to providing minimally invasive, careful and precise surgical techniques. These methods ensure the most natural-looking results with a shorter recovery period. Take a look at before and after photos of Dr. Yeung’s work, and the amazing results he has achieved for his patients.
Your new look and improved facial balance begins by contacting our office. When you want to change the shape, size, or general appearance of your nose, or you want to correct breathing impairments or sinus conditions, contact our office today or call 713-795-4885. You can also begin your exciting journey to a better facial appearance by completing the appointment request form right on this page. Our office will be happy to answer your questions about rhinoplasty, and help you achieve the look you want!